Saturday, March 12, 2011

...Mind Motivation...

"Put me on trial, Lord, and cross-examine me. Test my motives and my heart. For I am always aware of your unfailing love, and I have lived according to your truth." ~Psalm 26:2-3

Day 16 of my 90 day devotional (Pure by Rebecca St. James) gets to the bottom of what motivates us when it comes to serving God.

Have you been living with the right motivation? Sometimes thinking thoughts like this: Well, if I do this for God, if I go to church and serve Him and do the right things to live a holy life, then God will bless me! (page 45). We become motivated by the desire to be blessed with happiness, peace, and joy--living a life in which everything goes just right. I have found this to be true in my own life more than once over the years. Sometimes I feel like if I go to church every week, God should bless me, as if He OWES it to me! How selfish of a motivation is that?! Rather than having blessings from God be my ultimate goal, GOD should be my ultimate goal! HE is the reason we exist. When God is our mind of motivation, everything else falls into place (page 45).

Some verses to read to keep our minds focused on the right motivation (from Psalm 119):
* verses 15, 20, 27, 59, 97, 131

Question: How does your thinking motivate you?

No comments:

Post a Comment