Sunday, March 13, 2011

...Sweet Surrender...

Don't put your confidence in powerful people; there is no help for you there. When they breathe their last, they return to earth, and all their plans die with them. But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God. ~Psalm 146:3-5

Well, it's day seventeen of my devotional "Pure" by Rebecca St. James and she makes mention that in "our quest for purity also begins by surrendering our minds and our wills to our heavenly Father...Our bodies cannot be pure if we have not first given our minds over to God." (page 48). We need to be willing to pray a prayer of surrender to God and ask Him to help us put Him as Central focus in our lives. I know personally, that I have a hard time surrendering my will for God's. I tend to forget, or hide somewhere in my mind, the fact God's ways and thoughts are better and higher than my own!

Rebecca also brings up the fact that many times we find it easier to put our hope in things--such as people, relationships, possessions, money than God (page 48). All of these things will just let us down. God calls us to place ALL our hope in Him.

*Psalm 52:9
*Isaiah 33:2-3

"As we surrender more of ourselves to Him, we will recognize more and more of His goodness in our lives." (page 49).

Challenge: Think of the things you put most of your hope. Where does God end up on the list? I know for me, as sad as it is to admit, it isn't always first...I tend to turn to people and relationships that are right in front of me, that I can SEE. I need to constantly ask God to help me and constantly surrender my life to Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment